Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

the amish project and how to be a better steward of our time

Some days I feel the need to go "under the radar.."
Some days I spend entirely too much time checking my facebook page..sometimes out of sheer boredom..other times out of blantant curiosity... perhaps on some innate level, I am afraid I will "miss" something...
Don't get me wrong, facebook is great....cell phone apps, computers, and technology can be a wonderful thing...but lately, I have felt God showing me that I spend entirely too much time with my head buried in a screen. 

Even as I was preparing to write this post, a friend of mine posted on, none other than facebook, an article about a "hands free mama"... a mother who realized that her busy lifestyle was taking too much time away from her children...a mother who vowed to make real changes for the sake of her children.

I recently read an interesting article called, "The Amish Project."  A young man in somewhere USA was sitting at a basketball game with his friends one day. They were reuniting after not seeing one another in years. Instead of talking and enjoying the game together, he noticed that each friend, including himself, was buried in cell phones...even laptops.. ( yes, he brought his laptop to the game..)
It was then that he realized that there was a real problem..It was empty living.

He started looking around and began noticing that seemingly everyone was preoccupied with the cell phone.

So, he vowed to go technology free for 90 days. No cell phone..no texting..no social media..
I know, it sounds crazy right?

The result?

He had a great time getting to know people and finding creative ways to communicate...
When I read his story, I felt like I was reading about a boy from the 1950's who brought back simple living to the busy and rush mentality of the present.
I read about how instead of texting a girl, he would send her flowers or write her a message on the sidewalk..

There were some things that in the article that I didn't agree with, but overall..I really like the concept of the Amish Project..

Am I going to do the Amish project?
Probably not..but I am praying that God will help me to be a better steward of my time.

God gives us things to make good use of... and time is one of them..
I don't want to stand before God one day and have years unaccounted for...

I really don't want to hear Him say, "rachelle, you spent about 4 years of your life..meandering through facebook, aimlessly surfing the web, and playing with your cellphone..

"meanwhile, you missed out on a total of a year of your children's lives. You missed the time little bear was telling you about the butterfly he saw...or the time that Cade wanted to tell you about his day... you were too engrossed in the phone to provide comfort, to give wisdom, to be a real friend.  you missed so many moments and so many opportunites.."

I want to be a better steward of my time. I want to make memories. I want my time here on earth to count for something. I may not change overnight. But I pray that I change... oh, and remember at the begging of the post..i said I check facebook almost obsessively because I'm afraid I'll "miss something." well, i've figured out what I am missing... Life..living real, life..I am missing moments and opportunities.
everything in moderation, friends..

One other thing...ever go to lunch with someone or for a visit..and you feel as if you are competing for attention with a phone or a television..? It almost makes you feel like you aren't important.. I've been there and I've felt that..I've possibly even done it a time or two...i want to vow never to do that again. It's not a good feeling..

Ephesians 5:15-16
Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil


John 17:4   I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.

Colossians 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.


1 Corinthians 9:26-27
Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

other great links on similar topics..

http://www.handsfreemama.com/

http://www.itsmywalk.com/2012/05/09/the-new-me/ 


Love you...we can do this...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment