Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jake's Cakes

Brendan enjoying the flower
a scene from Jake's Cakes


Today, I went a little off the beaten path into a local bakery who happens to serve coffee...

I don't typically blog about places I go..but today I decided to do something different...

Jake's Cakes is located in Sulphur on Ruth Street...
anyone who is familiar with Sulphur knows that unique places are few and far between....

I walked into Jake's Cakes and asked for an iced coffee...The place is relatively new so I was informed that they don't yet serve iced coffee...

So I ordered a cafe latte with vanilla.... It was delish..

I then walked into a little side room ...and all I can say is... I was impressed to discover a welcoming little nook.

The atmosphere was quaint and cozy...there was jazz music in the background....making the entire experience , a pleasurable one...

As I was leaving I saw that the company had been started by a nineteen year old boy. I was impressed..

jakes cakes serves king cakes, hand dipped strawberries, novelty desserts, soups, salads, and a bevy of other things...

I will definity be a regular.

Jake's Cakes was a nice surprise....

__________

an afterthought...

I like small business.... I like places with unique flair and personal touch....

there don't seem to be too many places like that anymore..they are few and far between...
the chain has taken over..

strip malls often cookie cutter our daily experiences..... 

I like it when the little guy succeeds... but all to often...I see places like this close down after about a year..
It's almost as if people are afraid to try something new.  It's almost as if familiarity opens its big, wide arms and we all fall into to it's abyss like cattle..
Familiarity is boring.

We should take more time to venture off the beaten path...



--------

another afterthought..

Today, I was thinking of success....

I was thinking that I hope this little business is sucessful...
Then I began to think..what does it mean to be successful?

I know that in the world's eyes, success is often equated with having nice things and loads of money.
I recently wrote a post about the prosperity gospel and how I don't believe that God wants us to be rich.

I want to slightly revise that statement.
Sucess is a natural part of some very brave endeavors.
God doesn't fault money. He faults greed.
To me, success is making others around me feel rich... To make others feel special...That is success...
It can be achieved whether someone has millions of dollars or just a few...I don't think our purpose in life is make money, as many would lead us to believe...

I think it would be interesting to own a coffee shop...
Not for the money..but because hundreds of strangers would pass through the door..
Hundreds of lives could be intertwined..
It would provide a chance to minister to hurting people...It would be a chance to be real and get to know people...
Life is too fast paced...
I hope that Jake of Jake Cake's touches lives with his business... I hope that Jake doesn't become greedy and vain and lose focus on the things that really matter in this life....

I am praying for this Jake character....
That he sees always remembers quality is better than quanity
That he come to truly grasp the meaning of success....
and that he come across an outstanding iced coffee recipe..just kidding..

No comments:

Post a Comment