Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Koinonia, Part 2 ...a beautiful moment

"He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me."

The other day I was at my mother in law's house and I had a beautiful conversation with my father in law. My in laws are devout Catholics and even though there are theological issues on which we don't agree, we don't discuss them.

One thing I can say about my in laws is that I love them. They are loving and giving. My mother in law is like a second mother to my three year old and she tirelessly works with him, teaching him to read while I am at work.

I love my in laws. I see Christ in them.

I recently learned a new word.. The word is Koinonia..It is a Hebrew word that is mentioned in the New Testament over 18 times. The word refers to fellowship, sharing, and the breaking of bread. It is associated with the community of believers in the book of Acts.

Anyway, the other day..my father in law and I were talking and he was telling me about a video that he watched about Mount Siani.. What is amazing is that there is a gleam in his eye every time he talks about Jesus.

I am glad that I can share that with my family..even though we have different religious backgrounds..I feel as if there is a beautiful sense of koinonia..when we can set aside the minute things that make us different and focus on the One Man who give His Spirit to those who seek Him - Christ Jesus .. To me, koinonia means being willing to set aside differences and simply share Christ.

I am going to post the video he showed me of Mount Siani and ask him if he would be willing to share some of His stories..

He has told me many amazing stories of how God has moved amongst people of his faith. I truly believe that God moves among people who truly seek Him.. regardless of religion. For that, I am thankful.

So often, we are on a quest to be "right" ...We want to be "right" on matters of politics, religion...I think that it is wonderful to be passionate about a conviction. We should strive to seek Truth..

But one thing that I loved about Christ is that He said that the greatest in the kingdom weren't those who strived to be "right" all of the time.. IN our quest to be "right", we often fail to nurture..we  sometimes fail to show love..
It's kindof like the heated political arguments that I have seen as of late. IN our quest to be "right", we have lost our compassion.

I love how Jesus challenged our ways of thinking and said that the greatest in the kingdom is the one who is willing to become like a child..

The one who is willing to "take a lowly position.." is the one who will be greatest..  To me, that means, the ones who are willing to set aside differences to see that we are really one and the same.


p.s.. I hope everyone will watch this video.. It's sort of miraculous really..


 

No comments:

Post a Comment