Total Pageviews

Monday, August 28, 2017

The Teachings of Religion Vs. The Teachings of Jesus

A few years ago, I began to ask a lot of questions about certain practices in many churches. One time, I was speaking with an elderly gentleman. I simply asked a question about a common church practice, and showed a scripture as to why I thought it might be wrong. I was met with a lot of criticism, and told that I "needed to be schooled by a pastor." I was met with anger for even asking a question and called a "spiritual infant.". I'm not going to lie, it hurt me.

I forgave the words that were spoken to me by the gentleman, but I took my frustration and used it to write and make videos. I actually have a huge collection of videos that I made during this time, and I am just now getting the confidence to share them.

One thing I have learned is that, quite often, people will love you and accept you so long as they agree with what you have to say, and asking questions in many churches, simply is not permitted.

I am fortunate to have a family that accepts me for who I am. I am also thankful that there are pastors out there who are open to listening to questions, thoughts, and ideas, even when those ideas oppose the religious system.

It's nice to be able to discuss things with church leaders, such as tithing, the unbiblical system of hierarchy, and other issues without fear of rejection. I actually know and love lots of pastors. There is a particular pastor at a church that I once attended that has helped me in a lot of ways. I care about him and his family. I pray for him on a regular basis, and I know that if I talked to him about many of the things that God has shown me, he would still love me. He would still accept me. I know that we could have a peaceful discussion about things. I'm sure that we would disagree on issues, but that is ok too. We can still love one another.

I know that not everyone has that luxury. I do know that there are churches out there that discourage any kind of questioning. I have heard of churches that label people who question leadership as "rebels, backsliders" and a host of other names to "put them in their place." Some churches even threaten members who want to leave the church. It's manipulation, and it is much more common than you might think.

However, the purpose of this post is not to talk about spiritual abuse practices in the church.

I have been out of the institutional church system for three years. Even though I disagree with some of the teachings in many churches, and many church practices, I still have a deep love for people.

I love my family who faithfully attends church. I love our local pastors. I love people. I truly believe that it is important the we learn to respect where another person is their walk with Jesus. Similarly, I feel that those in churches should respect those who are in a different place. Sometimes, Jesus leads people outside of the walls and into the dark places.

The truth is that it doesn't matter where we are or what we are doing, if we don't have love, the Bible says that we are still nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)

Love is the test. If we are attending church, but don't have love, we still have nothing.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a ringing gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathomall mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have absolutefaith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and exult in the surrender of my body, but have not love, I gain nothing 1 Corinthians 13:2

I write blogs and try to help others, but if I am not loving others as I should be, then I am still nothing.

Love is the litmus test for a true Christian.

Jesus never said, you will know that they are my disciples based on our knowledge. In fact, He says that "Knowledge puff up", and can lead to pride.

Similarly, Jesus never said, you will know that they are my disciples, by their church attendance record.After all, didn't the Pharisees have excellent church attendance records? Church attendance is no indication of a relationship with Jesus.

Jesus said, "You will know that they are my disciples because of their love for one another."

It is also important to remember that the Spirit of God led Jesus into the desert, John the baptist into the wilderness, and David into caves. The spirit of God often leads people into places other than church, and while I know that fellowship is important, I have found that it is possible to fellowship virtually anywhere. If we have a light within us, we can take it with us anywhere we go.

Church should be a way of life, not a once a week assembling in a service to hear a message.

The model for church in the Book of Acts demonstrated a way of life that was vibrant. To the disciples, church was "loving the least of these," breaking bread together, praying for the sick, displaying the power of Jesus through the casting out of demons, and meeting the needs of a community.

Throughout history, the concept of church has been systematically dumbed down into something that is scarcely recognizable, and a lot of what we are doing in church isn't even in the Bible.

I encourage you to read an article, called "Bread and Circuses" by Doug Perry. Doug proposes that a lot of what we are calling church is nothing more than entertainment for the saints. Click here to read the article. Even it you don't agree with what is written, I hope that it challenges you to a deeper walk with Jesus.

Also, Consider the following verse from Isaiah:

When you come to appear before me,
    who has asked this of you,
    this trampling of my courts?
13 Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
    Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations
    I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.

14 Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals
    I hate with all my being.
They have become a burden to me;
    I am weary of bearing them.
15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,
    I hide my eyes from you;
even when you offer many prayers,
    I am not listening.
Your hands are full of blood!
16 Wash and make yourselves clean.
    Take your evil deeds out of my sight;
    stop doing wrong.
17 Learn to do right; seek justice.
    Defend the oppressed.[a]
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
    plead the case of the widow.

In the verses, we can see that the people were following their religion almost perfectly. They were faithful to their assemblies, they met faithfully in the temple, they paid offerings, and even attended their religious festivals. The people also offered many prayers, but Jesus said that He wasn't listening.

Despite their outward show of holiness, Jesus said that they were doing wrong. Their lives were still full of sin and He tells them," Take your evil deeds out of my sight!" Stop doing wrong. Learn to do right. He then tells them that to do right in His eyes, they need to stop their evil deeds, seek justice, take up the cause of the fatherless, and plead the case of the widow. Jesus shows us in His Word that He is more concerned for the welfare of the poor, the widow, and the orphan, than He is with our "outward" displays of holiness. (festival, offerings, temple or "church" attendance)

Even the Bible says that many will have "a form of godliness" but that their hearts will be far from Him.

The mark of a Christian, according the Bible, has nothing to do with church attendance. Instead, Jesus tells us that we will know a Christian by their fruits. (love, patience, kindness, generosity, long suffering, peace)

The Bible also says, "out of the heart, the mouth speaks," If you want to know what is in someone's heart, simply look at their speech.

If Jesus is in our hearts, then we will talk about Jesus.
If money is in our hearts, then we will talk about money.
If religion is in our heart, then we will talk about religion.



Are we following Jesus? Or are we following a religion or a denomination? Take the test.

Teachings of Religion vs. Teachings of Jesus


1. Religion says "build huge buildings" Jesus said, I do not live in temples made with "human hands." Acts 17:34

2. Religion says put your faith in religious leaders. Jesus said "Trust in Me." Proverbs 3:5-6

3. Religion says the sermon will guide you into all truth. Jesus said, "The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth" John 16:13

4. Religion says put all of your resources (time, talent, and money into the religious system. Jesus said, "whatever you do for the least of these you also do for me. Matthew 25:40

5. Religion says that you must be taught by a leader. Jesus says, "The Holy Spirit will teach you all things." John 14:16

6. Religion says "Our ways are superior to your ways." Jesus says, Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up. James 4:10, also see verses on pride.

7. Jesus says go into all the world and make disciples.(Matthew 28:19) Religion says, go to church.

8. Religion says, love those only in your denomination. Jesus said, If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 1 John 3:17

9. Religion says "God wants us to be comfortable. Jesus says, deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me. Matthew 16:24-26

10. Religion says, "our wealth is sign of God's blessing" Jesus says, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, 
for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:3-10


11. Religion says, "Come to us with your problems, questions or concerns. We long to direct your path." Jesus says, "But in ALL thy ways, ACKNOWLEDGE HIM, and HE shall direct your path.

12. Religion says, "Trust in our men of God." Jesus says, Trust not in Man, but in God. "For many false prophets and Christs will arise and they shall deceive many." Matthew 24:24 (The Bible says that wolves will be among us. They will be in the churches! For an important video titled, "How to Spot a Wolf" click here.

13. Religion says, "We long to mediate what the Spirit of God is saying." Jesus says, For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus  1 Timothy 2:5

14. Religion says, "Your leaders are more qualified, anointed, and important than you. Jesus says, "I am no respector of persons." Acts 10:34 and" He who is last shall be first, and he who is first shall be last." Matthew 20:16

15. Religion says, "Give me all of your time, attention and money! Jesus says, "My yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:30


DO you see what is going on here? Many people are putting their faith in religion above Jesus.
Are we following Religion, or are we following Jesus?
I can only hope that no one is offended by this message. However, please Don't Shoot the messenger. These are words of Jesus, NOT ME.
The religious system hated Jesus so much that they had him killed!


“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14

"For a time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine but will gather around a great many teachers to tell them whatever their tickling ears want to hear." 2 Timothy 4:3


Jesus is the rock, the stone that the builders rejected. The church "eklessia" is those who build upon His teachings, not the teachings and traditions of man.


FINAL THOUGHT: Many people may think that this message discourages others from attending church. I have to say that church has helped me in many ways. It was in a church that I realized just how much Jesus loves me. It was people in a church who helped me greatly in my walk with Jesus. It's also just as important that we share the message. He loves us. He invites us to the banquet table. Are we sharing that with others? Others need that message. Thanks to all of the Saints who have helped me in my walk.







  This is a video that I made that is simply a call to get others to think. It is called, "Jesus did not       belong to a 501c3 Organization. I made this video a few years ago, and I am just now brave enough to share it.





                This video is called, "People are Freezing to Death while we play Church." Similarly, I made this video a few years ago...




No comments:

Post a Comment