Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Hungering after Butterflies




Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. -Psalms 37:4



One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. - Helen Keller


“How does one become a butterfly?" she asked. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” - author unknown


_____________________



The other day I was going to write a blog post entitited "Hungering after Butterfiles."  I was going to talk about the choice in life
and how, when we choose Jesus, we choose a life of butterflies.

Butterflies that rise up in the spirit...as something of beauty..
butterflies that lend thier wings to something on the inside..
something that stirs and hungers and thirsts...
something that longs for more of the things of God and craves His own heart..

....spritual butterflies..the ones that,  when self is put aside, rise up in all thier magnificent color...and soar...
.....


So,..... I had this post in my head, all neat and pretty and packaged..and then some amazing things began to happen..


I woke up the next morning and was sipping on my morning cup of iced coffee...My nephew, in a state of flurried excitement, rushes over to tell me about this beautiful, vibrant butterfly that is trapped inside the treehouse.

"Come see it.. We have to resuce it....He needs to be set free. Rachelle, come see this butterfly."...................................................

"Ok, Luke..let me finish my coffee and put on my shoes and I will see what I can do about rescuing this butterfly."
I began to ask all of the pertinant questions. The questions that must be asked when a butterfly is trapped. "Is he trapped in the screen?" What is his condition? Did you try to capture him? What prevented you from capturing him and setting him free?

I learned that the butterfly was flailing about against the screen. He wouldn't be still enough to be gently placed into the hands. I once read that if you touch a butterfly's wings that you will do it serious harm. The wings, I read, are comprised of thousands of tiny scales and touching them damages thier wings and renders them useless. 

I grabbed my shoes and headed out to the playhouse. I said a quick prayer for the safe release of the butterfly.

as I approached the frantic creature, I could see that he was desperately trying to escape. He kept flying into the screen as if he had no means of escape...

I bid the little fellow to stay calm.  I put my finger right near his frail legs and he climbed aboard for a few seconds. During the course of those few seconds, I managed to scoot him every so slightly near the door..nearer to sunlight.

I put my fingers, once again, near his tiny legs. He climbed aboard. I inched him closer. This dosey doe with me and the butterfly lasted for about five minutes.  Finally, I carried him on my fingers to sunlight. and he flew safely into spring.

I didn't think much about it throughout the day.

That night, as I was leaving work... I glanced down on the concrete and lo' and behold', could you guess what I saw?

Another butterfly..!!!!!

He was walking sluggishly . He appeared to be in distress. I told him, "It's ok little fellow, everything is going to be ok. "  I placed my finger down on the cement...near his tiny, frail legs..and he climbed aboard.  Please note, I don't think I have held a butterfly in over 25 years..and, during the course of a day, two butterflies crawl onto my finger.

I took a picture. I know, it sounds crazy, right?
Keep in mind that my battery on my cell phone was low so the flash didn't come on...


my beautiful butterfly...

don't worry I didn't touch his wings.


So..... I wasn't quite sure what to do with him...  I rode him on my bike ( we ride bikes at the plant) to my car.... The entire time he stayed, perched on my finger. Well, he fell off once, but I put my finger down and he got right back on.... I brought him to my car and at this point I wasn't quite sure what to do with him..

I thought of trying to give him something to eat..but I had no clue as to what butterflies eat.. I thought of setting him in a little cage until he gets his strength back..
As I was pondering the plight of the butterfly, one of my coworkers comes along and I ask him if he thinks his little girl can take care of it..  "sure, he says." 
"be careful with him," I instructed.  So he takes the butterfly and brings it safely to his home.

Yesterday, was a day of butterflies.  I started to think it one of those strange details of my life.. but there was nothing strange about it.. It was beautiful.  I reeled in beauty in the shape of a caterpillar with wings.

Do you see the significance? The complete wonder of it?  I was going to write about hungering for butterflies..and the very next day.. my hunger was filled.  Two butterflies, that needed assistance, were placed in my path. 

There are two verses that come to mind..
Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart..Psalms 37:4

and

the verse that mentions how we must care for "the least of these."  I can sometimes see and feel God's great love for creation..for his creatures..the helpless, the wounded, the afflicted....

.... I guess if you take nothing else from this post... then recall these verses.. Delight yourself in the Lord. He will give you the desires of your heart..
and whatever you do for the least of these..you do for Him..

I pray that you aren't content with being a catepillar. I pray that  don't consent to creep. I pray that you seek the butterflies that Jesus gives..and I pray that they rise up within you..and you learn that you had wings all along.

and then, I pray you fly.








No comments:

Post a Comment