Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

a random act of kindness post..

I am one who is deeply inspired and moved by the kindness of others. I find that kindness and love is the language that we all want to hear and see in the world. I follow a blog called, Terribly Interesting. I remember reading Stephanie's 40 Days of kindess posts and thought about how wonderful it would be to be on the receiving end of such kindness...

Do you ever have days when you just crave kindness? I do. There have been days when I have truly needed to see the light of God. I recogize Him in the goodness of others. Everyday I find myself crying out for humility. Humility brings me to a place where I no longer crave to be one pleased..but humility opens something up in me that longs to do the pleasing.

I think of humility of being the exact opposite of pride. Often, our pride keeps us from experiencing God's love for others. Perhaps, that is why pride is considered a deadly sin. It hinders our vision in such a way that it causes us to focus on self rather than the command to love others and consider others as greater than ourself. 

I once read a statement on the same blog that really spoke to me... "What are we willing to lay aside so that others can see God?" Are we willing to let go of our pride so that someone else can see the vastness of grace?

There is one more thing that I would like to share before I proceed with this random act of kindness post......Lately, I have truly felt Stephanie's blog speaking to me. Her words resonate with me and there is something that i read that I would like to share. Please note..I didn't  write this next section....I just simply thought that everyone needed to be reminded of this simple truth..

The following excerpt is from Terribly Interesting

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.


Marianne Williamson
Source: A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles", Page:
 
 
 
Ok, all that being said...Let's get back to this random act of kindness post....first, of all...I thought that I would be doing this for 40 days...like on the blog I read...but then I thought about it .and realized that I don't want to do that. I feel as if I would be steailing an idea from someone else.... So I'm going to publish Stephanie's 40 day adventure...one a day for the next 40 days and hope that you were inspired like I was... Yes, I'm going to do my own thing, and I encourage you to do your own thing too..I've just decided that I don't want to publish what I do...Instead, be inspired by my friend and so some inspiring on your own..
 
 
First of all, I think the best part of my random act of kindness day was something that my son Cade said to me..
 
There have been days when we have randomly left flowers on random cars in parking lots. We haven't done it in quite a while. We were parked at an Alberstons the other day and Cade, who had no idea that I was doing a random acts of kindness post, said to me, "Momma, why don't we leave some flowers on cars like we used to do?"
 
First of all, I loved how those memories stayed with him. It made me realize how much he really watches what I do. I had some little notes in my car that have been sitting there for quite a while.
 
Have you ever read the book, "The Help?"
I think my favorite part of the book was the part where the babysitter spoke words of life into the life of the child she babysat. She came to love her. She saw that the mother didn't really speak love so everyday she told the child.."you are smart. You are kind. You are important."
 
Well, I had some of those notecards laying in the backseat....They said the same thing...You are smart, you are kind, you are important...except they were signed with the name , Jesus..
 
Because isn't that how He feels about us? Doesn't He love us with that kind of love..the kind that longs to build us up? The kind long longs to affirm?
 
So, I watched as Cade put these notecards on random cards....
I have to say, I was a proud mama...To me, there is nothing greater or more wonderful than kindness.
It is the language of love and it is something that we forsake all too often...
 
On our random act of kindness day, we paid for someone's groceries..randomly and privately.
We were at a supermarket and there was no one in line behind us....The cashier was someone that I know and trust and I handed her some money and told her that we wanted to buy some groceries for whoever needs them.
 
Hopefully, someone ate good that day. All I can do is pray that someone saw Jesus is that act. I didn't leave behind any religious materials..I just wanted someone to see God in a random act of kindness. 
I've come to a place where I don't want any accolades for anything that  I do. I simply want God to be glorified. I do want to inspire others toward kindness in the way that Stephanie, the writer of Terribly Interesting, has inspired me in her 40 day of kindness posts..
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment