Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

An Ode to my Sister


The lovely and beautiful, Sarah Mann...who I am proud to call, "sis"

On facebook, I follow a page called I love Liam Lyon.  Liam Lyon was a beautiful baby boy who was born with a rare heart defect. He passed away recently, but his mother still posts in his memory and honor. Today, she reminded us how we all need to take the time to love those around us while we have the time.

So today, I want to take the time to tell my sister how much she means to me. Anyone who knows Sarah, knows that she is a wonderful and beautiful person.

Case in point:

Sarah has gone through some private pain recently. But last week we were in the grocery store. There was an elderly couple waiting in line behind us. I was a bit stressed because baby bear was hanging on my feet and the bevy of children around us were pulling and tugging and grabbing things off shelves..and, well, being kids.. loveable but challenging in a busy grocery store..

anyhow, there was a little old lady in one of those motorized scooters in the line behind us..and her husband. They looked like they had seen better days and the cacophany of busyness and long lines was starting to take it's toll on them.

Well, as they place their items behind my sister's ...she gently grabs them and pays for them. She didn't make a huge commotion about it..she just scooped up their things, put in with her own, and paid for their things.

Well, of course, the old couple was shocked..but they left smiling. The beautiful thing about Sarah is that if I wouldn't be typing this here blog post, then no one would have ever known..I think Sarah would prefer it that way, actually. She is not a woman to draw attention to herself..and that is what I love about her. She is quiet. She loves quietly.. She moves gracefully and with poise.
She is a true woman of God.

Her energy is infectious. She loves a good cup of coffee, but mind you, without sugar. She loves healthy food grown from the ground. She loves chasing her dog Kofi around the yard. And more than anything else, she loves God and her family.

Watching Sarah is like watching still waters. She is more patient than anyone I have ever known. I watch her raise her daughters. Even when things seem hectic, Sarah lovingly leads with a calmness that is seen in few other people.

The other day we were at church and God gave her a word through my pastor.. Baby girl, don't worry. There is nothing to fear. Don't feel as if you have to be someone else. You don't have to be anyone, but you. God loves you. Don't feel the need to jump around or feel you have to be any other way than how you are. God loves you the way that you are.

So do I.  Sister, don't ever change. God shines through you in ways that you aren't even aware of.
You touched my heart in the quiet way that you paid for those groceries and sought no credit. You probably do that sort of thing all the time and don't even realize that by your acts of kindness and your warm, gentle ways..you further the Kingdom of God.

I love how you raise your girls and how you treat my boys..Even when Bear beats Ruth over the head. You remain calm and don't chastise. You lead. You correct, but in the most loving possible way.

My sister is tiny. She is a barely over five feet tall. She weighs a little over 90 pounds. Not because she diets..that is just how she is made.
But despite being so small in frame and delicate in body...
My sister is a giant of a woman.

I love you, Sarah





ON the right is Jadah, my sister's oldest daughter. On the left is my other gorgeous and wonderful niece, Rebecca.
My sister in law, Melonie took these gorgeous pics of the girls.. here is her website..
http://fifphotography.com/
The beautiful Olivia Claire. Sarah's middle daughter. Olivia talks with a southern accent and loves Adele.


This is the tiny, Ms. Ruth Eliana..Ruth is Sarah's youngest daughter. She has eyes the color of the deep blue seas.


Jadah is smart and lively..loving and kind ..like her mom



 

My Brendan riding ms. ruth around on his 4 wheeler. Yes, it's pink..but he doesn't care.


1 Peter 3:3-6

New International Version (NIV)
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment